Monday, August 18, 2008

Stollen License Plate???

I had a creepy experience at Walmart today. I went to pick up a birthday gift for my husband's partner's son, and on the way out to the car, we met an interesting man. From the start, I was loading up the girls when a truck driver parked behind my car so I couldn't move and then he came around and asked how to get to the Valley Fair Mall. I was a little questionable at first, cause don't most truck drivers know where they are going? After letting him know, I walked over to my car to leave. An older man walked up to the truck and knocked on the door. He asked the truck driver (very young) some questions and then he left in a hurry making it possible for me to leave. As I finished buckling up the girls, I noticed the older man standing behind me. He then walked to the front of my car and I got this uncomfortable feeling. What was he doing? He was in a place where it was going to be hard for me to pull out...so I was kinda forced to listen to him. "Is that your husband? " he asked. "No..." hesitantly I answered. "Is it your boyfriend?" "Um, no...I really need to go." I responded. He made me fill a little wierd, so I thought, Ok, Holli, follow this feeling and get out of here. I locked my girl's doors and started climbing in when I saw him touching my car-an Oldsmobile. "So, are you married?" I gave him a shocked look. He must have noticed because he then said, "This is a really nice car...." Okay, sir, whoever you are...this is an Oldsmobile. It's dirty and I wouldn't consider it a "nice" car. What was he doing? Creepy!!! "I have to be going now." He asked me again if I was married and then commented some more on my "nice" car. I got in and started pulling out, letting him know that if he didn't move, he might get hurt. He just watched me leave and then all these thoughts went through my head. Did he know the truck driver and was the truck driver distracting me while the man did something to my car? Was that man just a creepy guy who was bored? Did he do something to my car? Where is my license plate in the front? I called Andrey and asked if I had one on the front. We couldn't remember, so I had to call the sheriff and report that I "thought" it might have been stolen. Better safe than sorry right? So, now, after being creeped out (which may be nothing at all-but I can't deny that warning feeling I had), I have to drive to the DMV and pay to get new plates!! Grrrrr. So, moral of this story. Don't talk to strangers and don't buy nice cars, like Oldsmobiles. Ha, ha. Oh, and maybe carry around a taser gun....

3 comments:

Tyler and Julia said...

SCARY!!! When I had our first baby, my Mom told me (and she still reminds me of this often) to ALWAYS trust my instincts. I've always followed this advice and it's never let me down once. I've also found out for myself that it's better not to trust anyone than to trust everyone. I'm just SO relieved that you & your girls are SAFE!!

Unknown said...

That is pretty creepy. I'm glad you and the girls are okay though. That is the most important thing. :)

Richard Lee said...

I really think you need to get some pepper spray! If Besty told me that story I would be very anxious. Who knows what he wanted but plate stealing or not that the whole thing sounds creepy.