Friday, July 25, 2008

"I Want A Big Mac!"

Andrey and I were going to scrap some metal to get money for our week long vacation/reunion and to also pay for a boat that Andrey reeeeeally had to HAVE. On our way home, we stopped by a Home Depot for Andrey to pay some of his workers when we saw a "homeless" guy or a man standing holding a sign (by the McDonalds) that said something like, "Please get me a Big Mac...". Andrey said, "Oh, man, poor guy-we've got to get him a Big Mac. If that 's all he wants. Should we?" I was all for it...what would it hurt? Pay it forward, right? We bought the number one meal and hoped the guy would like Sprite. ha,ha. As we got up to him, I rolled down my window and held the bag out to him. What do you think his reaction was? Well, here were my worries....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Flashback~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A couple of years ago, my family and I were at Denny's, yearly family tradition. On our way out, there was a man holding a sign that said he would work for food, and that he was hungry. So, being the great nice guy that my dad is, he bought him a big meal. We were so excited to see the man's face. To our surprise, when my dad gave it to him and said enjoy, the man gave him a look of disgust and said, "I don't want food, I want money!" and with that, he threw the food away. My dad was so mad...as were the rest of us....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Back to present time~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So, thinking back to that memory, I was afraid of this Big Mac Man's reaction because I was the closest one to him and really didn't want fries and Sprite all over on me...well, I thought wrong. The guy looked at us really shocked and said, "No way. That is awesome! You guys actually bought me a Big Mac. You are great. Oh, this is great!" He kept going on and on as he was digging into his food and his drink. We said see ya and went on our way with big smiles on our faces. We started talking about why people can't work and get money, why they have to beg for it-that they make a lot more money than we think...but then we stopped and just enjoyed the happy feeling we had for getting this guy a $5 meal. Fun experience. PAY IT FORWARD!!!

No comments: