Friday, July 25, 2008

Going to Oakcrest


On July 3rd, I got to go up to Oakcrest girls camp. This is a camp that the Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has where the beehive age girls get to go. Some of you may also know of Brighton Girls Camp which is the same thing about. Well, I used to work there. I worked in the kitchen the summers of 2001 and 2002 and then in 2003 I was a counselor named Pixy*. I was so heart broken to hear that they were doing an Oakcrest 50 year reunion and I wouldn't get to go because we were at our Youth Conference at the same time. I decided to go up the week before the reunion when my young women went up for the week. This was so much fun to go around and see the grounds, zipline, archery, the craft houst, Tree Hut (oh man, good memories there), and to see my camper, Madison, who is now working there as a counselor..."Frizzles." We stayed for a short program where the staff sang some songs, my favorite being "I Am A Child Of God" Oakcrest style (if you don't know what I mean, ask someone around you the is 12-14 years old to sing it for you) and then they sang their staff song that goes along with their theme for the summer. It was beautiful. Afterward, we split up into stakes where our Stk. President spoke to the girls and then all the bishopric members and Stk. Young Women's Presidency bore their testimonies. It was nice and it was great to be back. I got really home sick for camp and wished that I could be there. There us such a nice peaceful feeling there and you truly feel loved by those around you and our Heavenly Father. We then said goodbye to our girls and left them a treat bag-thanks to Jeff Buchanon (hey anyone looking for a date and is single, this is the guy to date-i'll set it up. ha,ha). I love Oakcrest...that's how I met my husband....good times.

3 comments:

Nathaniel and Sarah said...

HEY I'M IN THE PICTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember doing that with the arrows!!! hahaha!!!!!!! You're family's ADORABLE PIXY!!!!!

Kerry Hoaglund said...

it's about time you got a blog! JEESH! If you want to visit mine it's www.jayandkerrymcmillanfamily.blogspot.com i'd love to have a new visitor! :D

Auntie Alfie said...

What was your camp name in 2001? I was there too... :-)