Thursday, March 10, 2011

Return of the IMC

We were all recovering from our sicknesses when I felt this big pain in my right leg. I looked and there was a huge vein bulging from my knee and it was rock hard and turning colors. I called my aunt (who has dwelt with blood clots many times) after elevating my leg. She came over and told me to rush to the E.R. and have it looked at. After getting a sitter for the kids and getting Andrey home, we spent the afternoon with me in a gown again (I guess I missed it so much from weeks before...yeah right) and laying on a hospital bed wondering what was going to happen to me. Would the blood clot reach my lungs? Was it just a surface blood clot? I have never prayed so much in my life than I had this last month.
It was neat to see the amazing technology that we have and to see the ultrasound of my leg being done. The nurses and doctors were amazing, answering any questions I had and giving me advice as how to prevent blod clots (my legs are pretty scary with the varicose veins).
After the tests were completed, I was relieved to find out that I had a superficial phlebitis (surface blood clot that would not reach my lungs or harm me in any extreme way). To recover, I have been taking Ibuprofin (sp?) and warm compressions, and elevating my leg when I could find time. This was a scary experience and I still worry, but I am so blessed and grateful for familiy, friends, doctors, nurses, and amazing technology that take care of us and look after us.

2 comments:

BK said...

Goodness! You got me scared there! Glad to hear your life isn't in jeopardy. Hope everything heals up well for ya.

Lyndsie said...

How scary! Glad you're okay.